Monday, November 7, 2016

All the Bright Places

Hey!  I'm finally back after facing weeks of frustrating exams and I'm glad it's over.  Good luck to all form 5 students out there who are having SPM today, I'm rooting for y'all.

Other than wishing good luck to the form 5s, I'm writing a book review about this book 'All the Bright Places'.  Well, obviously it's a book review since this is a blog about books.


And If you guys don't want a spoiler, stop reading it right now cause you'll hate me because I'm practically telling out the whole story.

So anyway, this book, oh my god, it's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.  It clenches my heart every time I read it. 

This is a story about a boy called Finch and a girl named Violet.  To be more accurate, it's Theodore Finch and Violet Markey.  Finch is the freak at school and Violet is the popular girl who dates the school's heartthrob.  

Finch and Violet met on the ledge of the bell tower at school.  They're both thinking about jumping off.  After Eleanor's death, Violet is not the same old Violet she used to be.  She quit cheerleading and student council and drifted away from her so-called friends.  She blamed herself for her sister's death.  

Okay, back to the ledge, when Finch thought he was the only one there on the bell tower, he saw her--- Violet.  He talked her down and saved her from jumping off the six-storey high building.  And when people asked, Finch told them it was Violet who saved him.

After that, Finch began to budge Violet in school and requested permission from the teacher to group with Violet in a project.  He even went to her house at night and threw stones up her window to get her attention.  And when she didn't budge, he slept overnight at the porch of her house.

By now, you should have known that Finch is an interesting and unpredictable guy.

Slowly, Violet got used to his presence and they began their "wandering" for their US Geography project.  They went to places and write down what they think in their wandering notebook.

Okay, just so you know, Finch already likes Violet in the first place when he saw her.  And Violet was beginning to fall in love with him.  In the middle of their "wandering", they kissed.  When I was reading that particular part, I was like 'Finally'.

In the book, it always shows Finch imagining death, it didn't worry me at first because I thought it was just part of the storyline.  But after a while I started to worry, just like how Violet was worried about Finch.  Violet felt that something was wrong with Finch and couldn't make out what was it.  

Then, Amanda--- Violet's former best friend told her that she saw Finch at Life is Life, a talk (I guess) for teens who are thinking of commit suicide or had tried it.  

Violet met up with Finch for his birthday.  At first, it was all nice and romantic, but Violet couldn't shake off the feeling and confront Finch.  They had a fight (which was the first one since they started dating if I'm not mistaken) and Violet left angrily.

Finch then disappeared.  He didn't go to school since he was expelled (got into a fight with Gabe, an asshole), but he didn't call or text Violet.  This made Violet extremely worry.

He's a guy who's constantly thinking of death.  Every day he thought of ways he might die, but every day he also searched for and managed to find something to keep him there, alive and awake.

Maybe Finch finally couldn't find something that could keep him alive or maybe he's not dead, he's just of somewhere else, another world, a world designed by Theodore Finch.  But in other words, he's dead.

Violet found him at the Blue Hole (another place of their "wandering").  And yes, she's sad, just like me even though he's just a character from a book.  She once again blamed herself for not being able to do anything.  And it's the worst feeling when you love someone but can't be able to help them.

In the end, Violet finished their remaining "wanderings" and found a letter left for her from Finch.  I'm not sure had she gotten over him but this is just so sad and depressing.




This book is just so well written and good, that I love it.  A salute to the author, Jennifer Niven.  

I don't know if you guys have heard of a quote: It's not the happy ending, it's about the story.  But it will be a billion times better if Finch didn't die!  

So yeah, this is the end of my book review and there might be a few mistakes about the storyline.  But I sincerely hope y'all will like it.  

Oh, before I forgot, a shoutout to Jennifer Niven's latest book 'Holding Up the Universe'.  But I still prefer 'All the Bright Places', not that the other book sucks, it's just I like this one better.

Lastly, this book is soon to be a major motion picture.  *Squeals loudly*  And I heard Elle Fanning is starring Violet!  But Finch is a mystery......  


 This is Elle Fanning, gorgeous isn't she?

Once again, I hope you guys like it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment